Friday, April 5, 2013

Humbled

Yesterday, I decided to write a short post on the LIO facebook page that was an open letter to the store Lululemon about my conflicted feelings towards their store and their product. In particular, the letter was directed at the fact that their clothing line goes from size 0-12 and even only to size 10 in some styles. This post was not meant to be anything other than a way for me to vent my feelings and maybe even get a few supportive "here, here!"s from some of the other ladies in similar situations as me.

This is not, of course, the end of the story.

I did, get replies of support by many (MANY) people in the LIO group, and along with their notes of understanding and agreement came a strong suggestion to forward my note to Lululemon.

After my internal timid by nature self tried to pull a "what, ME???? I can't POSSIBLY do that!!!", I took the leap and sent it to the company email address, provided it to them via their web site comments section AND posted it on their facebook page. Heh, what can I say? My inner warrior was telling me to go big or go home ;-)

This all happened sometime around noon yesterday.

What happened next has made me proud, part of a group, thankful... lots of things... but most of all humbled. Thus far, MY open letter post on the Lululemon Athletica facebook group page has gotten 75 "likes" and 18 comments AND COUNTING!!! Included in those comments was an official one from Lululemon asking for further information.

Later yesterday afternoon, I received a reply for EACH of my two submissions from Lululemon via email. All of their replies have shown them to be grateful for my feedback and willing to bring my suggestions to their design team. Not to mention they have provided some suggestions as to what styles MAY work for someone on my "shape". In addition, 2 of the three replies offered to provide further suggestions on what may work for me if I provided them with my current measurements and the sizes I wear in other clothing.

All because of a little venting post. All goes to show that speaking up is usually the best thing.

Humbled people. HUMBLED.

PS. I kicked a$$ with my 4K run Wednesday. :)

(below, for those who do not have access to facebook, I have attached a copy of my letter).

Dearest Lulu...


We have an ongoing love / hate relationship.. and I am not sure why I keep hurting myself by always going back to you.
I LOVE your clothes... they are so cute and pretty and make me smile... but every time I go in to see you, you disappoint me with the lack of sizing for those of us currently TRYING to get fit and healthy but do not fit into your mold of the "ideal"...
I HATE that your clothes are sized 0-12... hate even more that those super cute running skirts only go to a size 10 (really??????) and that your shorts are all cut really slim making it impossible for those of us with larger legs to wear them... not to mention the super short length!
I HATE that every time I go in there, I keep hoping that SOMEDAY my chest will be a size that will fit into your sports bras, to no avail. And that every time I go there, I leave feeling a little less happy with the mold I am currently fitting.
AND, I especially hate that a running friend gave me a gift certificate to spend at your store, in celebration of my first year of running, and I can't use it. Maybe I will give it back to her so she can enjoy it... SIGH.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YESSS! that is amazing. So glad you did that. This is partially why I do like Lulu, even though I am grumbly about their lack of larger sizes. The customer support is incredible. Keep us up to date on how it goes, what happens, and if you do find some clothing there that fits and feels good.

Super excited for you. Confidence rocks.